Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 9 playoffs (Double-elimination and other)

Default Season 9 playoffs (Double-elimination and other)

This is a repost from the discussion in the Leader's section. The feedback from the leaders that posted was overwhelmingly positive so we're proceeding with this for Season 9.

TL;DR

-Double elimination only for Top 16 teams of each division (Platinum, Gold, Silver, Steel, Iron, EU Plat, EU Silver, EU Steel, South America, Aus/NZ)
    -32-team single elimination for all other teams.
    -Playoffs are 5 weeks long instead of 4
    -If you lose at any point then for weeks 2, 3 and 4 you play two matches a week (Monday and Thursday)
    -Thursday matches are played on the same map as the previous Monday
    -Failure to play your 2nd match by Thursday results in a forfeit loss and eliminates you from playoffs
    -In the event that the undefeated team loses the finals match, those two teams will have to play one more time

We've been discussing the potential of having a double elimination playoff bracket for title brackets only (top 16 teams in each division that receive unique medals for 1st, 2nd and 3rd). Additionally, we'd like to include 32-bracket single elimination playoffs for non-title divisions. Playoffs would last an extra week - 5 instead of 4.

The admin team regretted not being able to put together playoffs for everyone this season. By going to 32-team playoffs after the top 16, it will cause less work for everyone involved and allow us to once again include all teams in a playoff.

The real gem is the double elimination for the top 16 of each division. So how would this work? I've made a mock bracket using Platinum's current season here: http://challonge.com/UGCSecondChance/fullscreen

The headers above each round explain each week's matches. So long as you're winning, nothing changes for you. You play every Monday, for a total of 5 matches. Once you lose though, you are in the loser's bracket. This is where things change.

Because there are 6 rounds in the loser's bracket and it begins on the 2nd week of playoffs, weeks 2-4 would require two matches to be played to keep up with the winner's bracket. This means that on top of playing every Monday, you must also schedule a match with your next opponent by Thursday of the same week. The second match will be the same map as was played on Monday. It has to be by Thursday to allow enough time to get the next matchups on the site and for teams to start communicating. Teams that can't be bothered to play an extra match a week will forfeit their "second chance".

This gives teams an opportunity to stay in the tournament. There's little worse in competitive sports than having a good season and being knocked out in the first round. We expect this will draw lots of interest from the community and plan on implementing this for our upcoming season.
    Question:
    Oh okay I get it. But that'd be hardcore dude, Thursday ontop of Monday?

Don't think many teams would be up for that, I know I wouldn't.
    Answer:
    This is the beauty of the system. Let's say we don't do it and your team loses the first round. You're out, just as always.

Now let's say we do it and you lose the first round. You say "Screw it, I'm not playing two matches a week". So again, you're out and you're in the same exact position as if we had single elimination. Nothing changes for you at all.

But for those that wanted that second chance, they will find a way to play it and, I hope, be grateful.
    Last edited by Xarlor; March 17th, 2013 at 03:23 PM.

My only question is whether the winner from the winners bracket has to lose twice to the winner from the losers bracket? How will that work if so?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyMays View Post
    My only question is whether the winner from the winners bracket has to lose twice to the winner from the losers bracket? How will that work if so?
    im guessing the same way playoffs work but if the winner from the losers bracket wins, another bo3 is played. (how will map picks work)

i love it. its just so much more competitive

gold: $1710/oz

platinum: $1630/oz

gold should be the top league, also so that the top div doesnt get crappy gray medals

I'm reviving this thread since we are mid-way through the season. I want to answer any questions or clear up any confusion on playoffs earlier rather than later. Please don't wait until a week before playoffs before telling us you disagree with this idea

If anyone has questions, needs clarification or has suggestions, please speak up!

I assume Red and Blue Steel/Iron will be combined for the playoffs.

Can you explain it? Cuz I'm not sure to understand.

So the TOP 16 from each division get into Playoffs (except for Plat since there are less teams, obviously), then do 1 -> 16, 2 -> 15, etc. ? After the first week, do the losers from Week 1 still get a chance with the other teams that lost (so basically 8 teams in upper-bracket and 8 in lower)? At that point, are those brackets totally separate from each other or are switches still possible (lower-bracket team wins week 2, upper-bracket team loses week 2, do they switch?) Basically just clarify the losers' bracket thingy. I read it, just need clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Thehiddenllama View Post
    I assume Red and Blue Steel/Iron will be combined for the playoffs.
    Yes, top 8 Steel Red and top 8 Steel Blue will comprise the Top 16 of Steel. Same goes for Iron Red and Iron Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamboulay View Post
    Can you explain it? Cuz I'm not sure to understand.

So the TOP 16 from each division get into Playoffs (except for Plat since there are less teams, obviously), then do 1 -> 16, 2 -> 15, etc. ? After the first week, do the losers from Week 1 still get a chance with the other teams that lost (so basically 8 teams in upper-bracket and 8 in lower)? At that point, are those brackets totally separate from each other or are switches still possible (lower-bracket team wins week 2, upper-bracket team loses week 2, do they switch?) Basically just clarify the losers' bracket thingy. I read it, just need clarification.
    It will be a traditional double elimination. Once you lose 1 match, you drop to the loser's bracket. From that point on, you will only play teams that have lost a match too. Winners will continue playing winners. This goes on until Week 5, where the undefeated winner plays the surviving team from the loser's bracket.

This means that a team in the loser's bracket can still win 1st place. To do so they would have to win every match once they drop to the loser's bracket. This also means they would have to play and beat the undefeated team from the winner's bracket twice.

This idea sounds awesome to me , but watch a week into it people complain :/
    Quote Originally Posted by bitoptimus View Post
    I went through my demo and found 4 taunts and then stopped watching. They deserved every taunt really. It can't be helped.

My profile

Quote Originally Posted by Reasoner View Post
    This idea sounds awesome to me , but watch a week into it people complain :/
    The loudmouths in this community generally do not complain about good ideas implemented in an effective way.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarlor View Post
    Yes, top 8 Steel Red and top 8 Steel Blue will comprise the Top 16 of Steel. Same goes for Iron Red and Iron Blue.
    Please no
    Why not Top 16 out of both combined

Quote Originally Posted by DildoTaco View Post
    Please no
    Why not Top 16 out of both combined
    Because a 32 team double elimination bracket would take seven to nine weeks...

Sometimes you have to understand that there are limits when deciding things, and though I would love to see steel teams battling it out into Summer, it's not possible for me to do.

I think you misunderstood
    Top 16 of steel
    Not top 16 of red and top 16 of blue

I think you misunderstood
    Top 16 of steel
    Not top 16 of red and top 16 of blue
    Oh, you mean there could technically be like 11 Steel Red teams and 5 steel blue teams depending on records and MP?
    Yep, I'm back

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Oh, you mean there could technically be like 11 Steel Red teams and 5 steel blue teams depending on records and MP?
    Or how the #9 team could get fucked cause all the stackers are on Blue?

Or how the #9 team could get fucked cause all the stackers are on Blue?
    Good point. Wasn't this kind of the same issue last season?

*edit -- Not necessarily agreeing with the stackers part but records and MP would be an fair alternative if you really want the best teams to make it to playoffs. It would, however, favor teams that have played the entire season. Anyone that's missed matches or gotten FWs kind of get screwed.
    Last edited by khrispants; February 22nd, 2013 at 04:57 PM.

If we combined both Steel Red and Blue divisions right now, the Top 16 with the best records are also the Top 8 of Blue and Top 8 of Red.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if this holds true come playoff seeding? Ah... to live a dream.

EDIT: I was wrong after all, I sorted by Wins, MPs, GPs, Loss, PD and stopped there. The team Terrifically Villainous would actually be 16th and BEST WAIFUS would be 17th had I continued sorting. TV wins the PF tiebreaker, which goes to show that a 6th tiebreaker does happen sometimes.
    Last edited by Xarlor; February 22nd, 2013 at 06:39 PM.

Rough that all of this comes down to a few round wins. If only the season could be longer and we could put more weight on win-loss records. :/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast