Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TF2 Server Setup

Default TF2 Server Setup

Setting up a tf2 game server for league use.
    Remember, home based servers are not allowed. Your server must be professionally hosted, and players can not be connected on the same lan as server. If your team and your opponent do not have a server, you can temporarily borrow a FREE one from our Team Owner's Match pages.
    I recommend teams get their own tf2 server, at about $15-$20 a month, because it provides a permanent place for your team to play at any time.

Download server cfg files from our files pages:
    Highlander files: http://www.ugcleague.com/files_tf2h.cfm
    6vs6 League files: http://www.ugcleague.com/files_tf2h.cfm

Unzip and upload these files to your servers tf/cfg folder.
    Edit the server's default server.cfg for your server name, rcon password ("rcon_password"), player join password (sv_password") and other default settings.

The league configs to be executed depend on map type, assuming it's for Highlander, execute these before each match:
    ugc_HL_KOTH.cfg for KOTH maps
    ugc_HL_standard.cfg for standard 5point CP maps
    ugc_HL_stopwatch.cfg for CP maps with Attack/defend or PL Maps
    (For 6vs6 they are similarly named)

EDIT ONE CFG file for your server info and needs:
    ugc_HL_custom.cfg
    In that folder you can modify your servername, stv server name, and other options, you can change those settings

DO this for matches:
    In our cfgs, SourceTV is started automatically by the league cfg, it will join the server after cfg execution + one map change.
    Steps to take:
    1. Execute league cfg file for the map type you are playing.
    2. Reload map using the "changelevel" command.
    You will see STV join the game after a bit of delay, you can then go "ready".
    3. REPEAT the above two steps to start the second half.
    4. When the match is over, exec ugc_off.cfg, to reset your server to normal operation.

The cfgs also setup themselves as the default server cfg for the duration of the match. This is done so that PURE 2 settings are enforced on every single player in the server. Pure settings are enforced at map load only, so if players are on a server in pure1 mode, and a cfg with pure 2 is executed, they will not be file consistency enforced. Therefore make sure you follow the procedure I listed above to make sure all players are file checked by pure 2 setting.

SourceTV.
    Two Issues with source TV.
    1. Slot Limit - The addition of sourceTV to a server adds a player slot. On many server hosts this is not allowed, and they will "crash" the server for a slot limit violation (because you are over the number you paid for).
    The FIX FOR SLOT LIMIT is in the ugc_HL_custom.cfg:
    //sv_visiblemaxplayers "-1" //Optional, uncomment to set to your server 'max players' limit, to prevent sourcetv from adding a player slot
    To activate, take out the two // in front of the actual command and change the value to your slot limit for your server. For a 19 slot server use this:
    sv_visiblemaxplayers "19"
    2. Automatic recording of STV demos. - Our server cfgs are setup to automatically record a demo when you execute the league cfg, and reload a map. However if your server has sourcemod installed with a commonly used STV demo recording plugin, you may have to change our cfgs autorecord command to "0". That is also found in the "custom" cfg.

Running a server
    IF you join your own server and want to issue commands, use the remote rcon tool called hlsw, or similar tools. Hlsw allowes you to save rcon and monitor your server from outside the game

IF you have any other questions about servers let us know, there are many other players here who are very expert in servers.
    Last edited by Fornaught; January 29th, 2014 at 03:09 PM.

I am kinda new to this server setup process, am I required to pay for a server to play on, or can I just run the server on my computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Stranger View Post
    I am kinda new to this server setup process, am I required to pay for a server to play on, or can I just run the server on my computer?
    Servers are to be "dedicated" with a T1 (or better) connection for UGC matches (See the section on our HL Rules Page). If you cannot rent or set up a dedicated server, UGC has a handful of servers available at a "first come, first serve" basis. Sometimes the enemy team will let you use their server if you cannot provide one and if a UGC server isn't available. Here is a short list of popular providers:

Personally recommended. Fabulous control panel. Automatic updates.

UGC's official provider. I used to use them. They are "OK".

A re-host of NFO, but with some extra doo-dads. Great customer service, from what I hear. Personally not recommended for UGC. Not yet anyway. Tragic is listed purely because of his customer service reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold-- View Post
    Servers are to be "dedicated" with a T1 (or better) connection for UGC matches (See the section on our HL Rules Page). If you cannot rent or set up a dedicated server, UGC has a handful of servers available at a "first come, first serve" basis. Sometimes the enemy team will let you use their server if you cannot provide one and if a UGC server isn't available. Here is a short list of popular providers:

Personally recommended. Fabulous control panel. Automatic updates.

UGC's official provider. I used to use them. They are "OK".

A re-host of NFO, but with some extra doo-dads. Great customer service, from what I hear. Personally not recommended for UGC. Not yet anyway. Tragic is listed purely because of his customer service reputation.
    Thanks a lot. Hoping to start this season with some friends.

You bet! ;-) Welcome to UGC!

Hey, our team got a server from gameservers and it didn't work out too well - we ran a few lobbies on it and everyone was complaining about lag all over the place. We actually asked for a refund :/

So what else is out there? NFO and Tragic are not an option because we're European...

Quote Originally Posted by 13thDoctor View Post
    Hey, our team got a server from gameservers and it didn't work out too well - we ran a few lobbies on it and everyone was complaining about lag all over the place. We actually asked for a refund :/

So what else is out there? NFO and Tragic are not an option because we're European...
    This is why I moved away from Gameservers: the lag complaints. GL finding a game host in Eu.

Alright thanks for confirming our suspicions then I ended up peeking on the ETF2L site and their provider is Multiplay. Seems that their rep is considerably better in Europe than America so we're going with that.

Default How Can i allways run the UGC standards on my server

I am new to Server owning in general and i have a few questions.
    Information: i use NFO servers. I have no expirance running a server. I learn fast

My basic questions are
    1.Is there a way to allways run UGC standards on my server without needing to type in the command so it dosn't end the command when i reset.

2.If not what is a list of configs i need to put into my Config file

3.any more usefull things you can help with.

My basic questions are
    1.Is there a way to allways run UGC standards on my server without needing to type in the command so it dosn't end the command when i reset.
    NO (You can exec one of the configs in server.cfg but what if you are playing a diff gamemode?)

2.If not what is a list of configs i need to put into my Config file
    http://www.ugcleague.com/files_tf2h.cfm

3.any more usefull things you can help with.
    bind "F6" "connect IP:27015;password your_server_password"
    bind "F7" "rcon_password your_rcon_password"

bind "F8" "rcon exec ugc_HL_standard.cfg"
    bind "F9" "rcon exec ugc_HL_stopwatch.cfg"
    bind "F10" "rcon exec ugc_HL_koth.cfg"

bind "F11" "rcon _restart"
    bind "F12" "say ¯¯\_(?)_/¯¯"

I bought a games ever server just for the purpose and can't seem to find the location I'm suppose to put the files in, any help?

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    I bought a games ever server just for the purpose and can't seem to find the location I'm suppose to put the files in, any help?
    Create a thread for support next time. This should be a sticky/no?

FTP into the server. Throw all the ugc configs go in cfg folder.

Who is your host btw?

Quote Originally Posted by NYPD View Post
    Create a thread for support next time. This should be a sticky/no?

FTP into the server. Throw all the ugc configs go in cfg folder.

Who is your host btw?
    Ah sorry, wasnt aware. New to these forums. Anyway I bought a Gameservers server and I've opened up my FTP, but cant find what I'm looking for. My FTP opens up like this but I dont see a CFG folder. http://i.imgur.com/4h0Rhae.png

/orangebox/tf/cfg

Put configs in your cfg folder as above

orangebox and tf folders
    not hl2 folder

Quote Originally Posted by Fornaught View Post
    /orangebox/tf/cfg

Put configs in your cfg folder as above

orangebox and tf folders
    not hl2 folder
    Ah wonderful, thanks so much

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast