Setting up a tf2 game server for league use.
Remember, home based servers are not allowed. Your server must be professionally hosted, and players can not be connected on the same lan as server. If your team and your opponent do not have a server, you can temporarily borrow a FREE one from our Team Owner's Match pages.
I recommend teams get their own tf2 server, at about $15-$20 a month, because it provides a permanent place for your team to play at any time.
Download server cfg files from our files pages:
Highlander files: http://www.ugcleague.com/files_tf2h.cfm
6vs6 League files: http://www.ugcleague.com/files_tf2h.cfm
Unzip and upload these files to your servers tf/cfg folder.
Edit the server's default server.cfg for your server name, rcon password ("rcon_password"), player join password (sv_password") and other default settings.
The league configs to be executed depend on map type, assuming it's for Highlander, execute these before each match:
ugc_HL_KOTH.cfg for KOTH maps
ugc_HL_standard.cfg for standard 5point CP maps
ugc_HL_stopwatch.cfg for CP maps with Attack/defend or PL Maps
(For 6vs6 they are similarly named)
EDIT ONE CFG file for your server info and needs:
In that folder you can modify your servername, stv server name, and other options, you can change those settings
DO this for matches:
In our cfgs, SourceTV is started automatically by the league cfg, it will join the server after cfg execution + one map change.
Steps to take:
1. Execute league cfg file for the map type you are playing.
2. Reload map using the "changelevel" command.
You will see STV join the game after a bit of delay, you can then go "ready".
3. REPEAT the above two steps to start the second half.
4. When the match is over, exec ugc_off.cfg, to reset your server to normal operation.
The cfgs also setup themselves as the default server cfg for the duration of the match. This is done so that PURE 2 settings are enforced on every single player in the server. Pure settings are enforced at map load only, so if players are on a server in pure1 mode, and a cfg with pure 2 is executed, they will not be file consistency enforced. Therefore make sure you follow the procedure I listed above to make sure all players are file checked by pure 2 setting.
Two Issues with source TV.
1. Slot Limit - The addition of sourceTV to a server adds a player slot. On many server hosts this is not allowed, and they will "crash" the server for a slot limit violation (because you are over the number you paid for).
The FIX FOR SLOT LIMIT is in the ugc_HL_custom.cfg:
//sv_visiblemaxplayers "-1" //Optional, uncomment to set to your server 'max players' limit, to prevent sourcetv from adding a player slot
To activate, take out the two // in front of the actual command and change the value to your slot limit for your server. For a 19 slot server use this:
2. Automatic recording of STV demos. - Our server cfgs are setup to automatically record a demo when you execute the league cfg, and reload a map. However if your server has sourcemod installed with a commonly used STV demo recording plugin, you may have to change our cfgs autorecord command to "0". That is also found in the "custom" cfg.
Running a server
IF you join your own server and want to issue commands, use the remote rcon tool called hlsw, or similar tools. Hlsw allowes you to save rcon and monitor your server from outside the game
IF you have any other questions about servers let us know, there are many other players here who are very expert in servers.