This map is to be played with the ugc_hl_stopwatch config

Please limit your discussion of these maps to the following:

Map Design Imbalances/Flaws
    Map Bugs
    Match "Flow"
    Suggestions for balance
    Suggestions to the map creator
    Overall Impression
    Would you recycle this map for another season?

Flaws in the map, such as texture bugs, should be supplemented with screenshot or POV demo proof (including explanation of how you may replicate the bug). Posts that do not contribute any meaningful information or insightful thought will be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Tomato View Post
    FYI: This is a link to Reddit, which has a link to a screenshot with no description to where the gun is placed.

Upon reading the comments, the area in question, lacking the no_build attribute, is located near the new flank (near the full health pack on cp4/last).

Who is the author of Barblitz Pro? Anyone?

TF2 Admin Platinum Advisor Mamboulay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cold-- View Post
    Who is the author of Barblitz Pro? Anyone?
    An old and scary legend states that this map was conceived... here

Quote Originally Posted by Mamboulay View Post
    An old and scary legend states that this map was conceived... here
    Thank you! The author was contacted.

In my opinion, the main problem with barnblitz was the chokey last point. If this is fixed, I think it would be a good and viable map to play in HL. Admittedly I haven't played the pro version of this , I have seen scrims of it working better before.

The sentry spots in last might have to be changed, I am unsure about how well taking that out will do. I heard they're hard to take down. I prefer upward over this, but I still like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reasoner View Post
    In my opinion, the main problem with barnblitz was the chokey last point. If this is fixed, I think it would be a good and viable map to play in HL. Admittedly I haven't played the pro version of this , I have seen scrims of it working better before.

The sentry spots in last might have to be changed, I am unsure about how well taking that out will do. I prefer upward over this, but I still like it.
    You do know its like in the season right

Quote Originally Posted by PoisoCaine View Post
    You do know its like in the season right
    Yep. I am just not a constant player on the map, and I don't know on how a lot of games have went in with last from their view.

Sorry if I phrased the sentence awkwardly

I will fix the sentry spot. I didn't think sentries would be buildable there, but I think those pallets are nonsolid and that's why. I didn't think about it a lot.

By the way, you can see the gun in the screenshot. And everyone on Reddit is dumb, wow.

Is there anything else I should do for the release you'll all be playing? I would like to make a final release (simply pl_barnblitz_pro) and be done with it.

Can you widen the hallway just before second, next to the turntable?

It can provide an adequate flanking route for spies instead of leaving them only one option to get behind the enemy team. It also can stop impossible-to-avoid body blocking by DR spies.

It'd also be nice if you made that hallway have a route that feeds into right next to the health pack below the drop down. Add a door blocking that route that opens after capping third. Currently I feel the run from spawns when you cap third to right outside last. It can help alleviate that issue. But those are my thoughts, I'd like input on that idea.
    Last edited by RawrSpoon; December 23rd, 2012 at 11:32 PM.

Can the turntable and/or the fall-back at the third point be removed? I mentioned this in the original thread when you guys were starting the work, but the removal of the boxes at third created a really strong wrangler spot that's a little nasty when coupled with the fall-back and a halfway decent sniper.

I agree about the narrow hallway at second.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydiaxa View Post
    Can the turntable and/or the fall-back at the third point be removed? I mentioned this in the original thread when you guys were starting the work, but the removal of the boxes at third created a really strong wrangler spot that's a little nasty when coupled with the fall-back and a halfway decent sniper.

I agree about the narrow hallway at second.
    The boxes are not a big deal. A team would rather set up in the barn to defend second. If red team loses second and has the ability to set up on that spot then they will still win the round. Its so far forward compared to the hill for third defense and is pretty impractical to get up there and built with out harassment. I dont think it will replace holding on the shelf in the barn because that would give up so much room and options for your spy to get behind them.

I vote this map gets flat textures that are fully optimized.

Please keep in mind that map authors have lives and may not be able to accommodate everyone's request. For this Season they'll probably only have enough time to make a few small changes (if that).
    Last edited by Cold--; December 27th, 2012 at 01:39 AM.

Please keep in mind that map author's have lives and may not be able to accommodate everyone's request.
    And not all requests need to be added to the map

Not to be rude, but I don't think any of those ideas are very well thought out.

The turntable might be somewhat annoying, but it's very much part of the soul of Barnblitz. It is significantly sped up to accommodate higher level play and I haven't heard anything except good things about that. It's my belief that maps need to be substantially different from each other to remain interesting, and not every annoying quirk needs to be removed.

As for the boxes--yes, it is a good wrangler spot. But it's not impossible or hard to take out. The engie can't hide when wrangling and there are plenty of avenues of attack to remove it (the windows above the health just past CP2, the entire building that contains the forward spawn). A team mounting a defense from there stands to lose CP2 incredibly quickly and also have something of an ineffectual hold (at least, that's what it looked like when I watched about a hundred UGC games on YouTube). I think removing the boxes does one thing: creates a cute spot that can be used as a diversion or annoyance for 30 seconds to a minute, which can definitely turn the tide in defense's favor but won't stop the map at that point. It's a risk.

As for a route to the health, or widening that elbow flank--not necessary. It provides a pretty key flank that comes with a hard risk. Notably the other flanks into the area operate differently and have different levels of height variation. These little things change so much, not to mention the way that a specific level designer implements this kind of change could affect so much. Not worth bothering with, the map plays fine as is.

This is not to say I don't think maps can be improved--I definitely made bblitz pro for a reason. But there are limits to what you can do, should do, and what actually matters in the larger scope of things. That being said, I hope you enjoy bblitz pro for what it is: Barnblitz as Valve released it with minor adjustments to better serve an altered format.

I'm gonna compile a final version tonight for you.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast